This biographical sketch was published in 1889 in the Biographical Souvenir of Texas.
William F. Newton
The gentleman here named is one of the most respected, well-to-do citizens of Gainesvile, Texas. He was born
in Cane Hill, Arkansas, December 11, 1842, and is a son of Charles G. and Mary H. (Bristol) Newton. Charles G.
Newton died January 9, 1872, at fifty-six years of age. Mrs. Mary H. Newton was born in New Haven, Connecticut,
and died in 1852.
Willilam F. Newton is the third child of five children born to his parents, named as follows – Charles S., Mary
Alice, William F., George Augustus and Jennie E. Charles G. Newton moved to Texas in 1847, settling at Cedar
Springs, Dallas county, when William F. was only a child. At the age of nineteen the latter enlisted in Company A,
Harp’s regiment, Thirty-first dismounted cavalry, Confederate army. In June, 1862, he went into active service,
receiving orders to report at Fort Smith, Arkansas. From there he went into southwest Missouri, continually
skirmishing and exchanging shots with the Federals, and very frequently came into contact with the Pinn Indians. He
was engaged in the battle of Newtonia, and after retreating to Fort Smith his regiment went into winter quarters near
that place, naming it Camp Rone. He was there taken sick and was removed to his Uncle Johnnie Gardner’s. While
convalescent he was detailed as ward master in the hospitals at Fort Smith, and after a few weeks’ service in this
capacity he rejoined his command at Karmish, Indian Territory, and went from there with his command to Louisiana.
Being a fine mechanic he was detailed to make bridges, afterward engaged in rebuilding old Fort De Rusia, and
received there after twenty months’ service, his first furlough. At the expiration of his furlough he was ordered to
report to Major Douglas, chief engineer trans-Mississippi department, headquarters at Shreveport, Louisiana, where
he served in the government shops until the close of the war. After the war he went to Dallas, Texas, engaged in the
manufacture of carriages, buggies, wagons, etc., with his father, under the firm name of C. G. Newton & Son, but, by
mutual consent, the firm dissolved in 1869.
William F. Newton married Miss Rufinah King, daughter of Finis King, and granddaughter of Samuel King, who
was one of the founders of the Cumberland Presbyterian church. After marrying he bought and improved a place at
Ovilla, Ellis county, Texas, but after twelve months he sold out and moved back to Dallas and again engaged in
business. Here he lost by death his loving and devoted wife. In 1872 he moved with his brother, C. S. Newton, to
Valley View, Cooke county, where they engaged in farming and stock raising. They also build a steam flouring mill at
Valley View, which business they ran successfully for ten years. In 1887 he moved to Gainesville, where he is now
the proprietor of the “Gainesville Machine and Repair Shops.” The second marriage of Mr. Newton took place June
10, 1877, to Miss Lizzie Kendall, daughter of Captain W. A. Kendall, a leading citizen of Pilot Point, Denton county,
Texas, who represented his county in the legislature three sessions. His union with Miss Kendall was blessed with
three children – Walter K., Bontecou and Julia Virginia, a family of bright and interesting children. Mr. Newton is a
member of the Masonic fraternity, and he and his wife are members of the Cumberland Presbyterian church, in which
they are held in high esteem. He ranks high as a progressive business man, and as a citizen has received in an
eminent degree the confidence and esteem of his neighbors and the community generally.
Note: Cane Hill, Washington County, Arkansas was originally three communities: the Cane Hill area (sometimes
called Boonsboro), the Newberg or Newton area.
William Frederick Newton, died 4/15/1915, buried Fairview Cemetery, Gainesville, Cooke County, TX